Selection and Appointment of Contractors
The project manager as the client’s representative has the responsibility with the support of relevant consultants for the selection and appointment of:
- contractors, for example, main, management, design and build
- contractors, for example, specialist, works, trade.
The various processes associated with this activity are summarised as follows:
- Selection panel appointments relevant to the nature and scope of tender to be awarded.Nomination of a coordinator (contact) for all matters concerned with the tender.
- Establishment of selection/appointment procedures for each stage.
Pre-tender activities will include the following:
- Assessment of essential criteria/expertise required for a specific tender.
- Preparation of long (provisional) list embracing known and prospective tenderers.
- Checks against database available to project manager, especially financial viability and quality of past and current work; possible use of telephone questionnaire to obtain additional data.
- Potential tenderers invited to complete/submit selection questionnaire; short list finalised accordingly.
- Arrangements for pre-qualification interview including prior issue of the following documentation relevant to the project to the prospective tenderer with interview agenda outline of special requirements and expected attendees to cover:
■ general scope of contract works and summary of conditions
■ preliminary drawings and specifications
■ summary of project master and construction schedules
■ pricing schedule
■ safety, health and environmental protection statement
■ labour relations statement
■ quality management outline
- Tender and reserve lists finalised.
The tendering process includes the following activities:
- Selected tenderers confirm willingness to submit bona fide tenders. Reserve list is employed in the event of any withdrawals and selection made in accordance with placement order.
- Tender documents issued and consideration given by both parties to whether mid tender interview is required or would be beneficial.
- Interview arranged and agenda issued.Carry out the following on the receipt of all tenders:
- evaluation of received tenders
- arrangements for post-tender interview and prior issue of agenda
- final evaluation and report
- pre-order check and approval to place order